All Are Welcome
As we come to the end of Pride Month, Old Pasadena pledges to continue supporting all forms of diversity and to welcoming everyone equally. We are proud of our diverse community and invite you to experience it. We know that as a community we are stronger and more resilient because of the rich cultural and social fabric that binds us together.
This summer we are inviting you to experience our diverse community of businesses and will be highlighting various experiences and curated itineraries for you to explore.
- Poke around this website for more examples of our vibrant community.
- Check out our business directory and use the filter options for more fun.
- Explore our event calendar for a wide range of experiences.
- Come out and discover our beautiful differences and how they continue evolving.
There are many examples of businesses and organizations that stand out for their ongoing efforts to celebrate all people, as well as their dedication to creating vibrant and inclusive programming. Old Pasadena is fortunate to be home to the Armory Center for the Arts and the Pasadena Senior Center, both organizations that work tirelessly to provide a welcoming space to all.
A Glimpse into Our Past
Old Pasadena is home to a varied and unique business community, a few longstanding examples that predate even the redevelopment in the 1990s. Many of these originals hail from the 1970s:
- Crown City Loan and Jewelry - housed in the only Greene & Greene commercial building still standing at the corner of Colorado Boulevard and Raymond Avenue.
- Freddie's 35er Bar - proud of the title as the best dive bar in Pasadena!
- Old Towne Pub - an 'intimate' music venue located behind a gate on Hayes Alley.
- Romantix - originally Le Sex Shoppe as proven by the neon blade sign that still beckons.
Ways to Learn and Explore Our History
Come out and take a walk, or sign up for a tour and discover the rich history and broad ethnic panorama that comprises our beloved downtown.
- Melting Pot Food Tasting Tour – diverse cuisine and even an evening dedicated to Italian fare
- Pasadena Heritage Walking Tour – docent-led walking tours highlighting historic aspects of Old Pasadena
- Friendship Church - the first African American Baptist Church in the city, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke here twice, and Michael Jackson’s funeral was held here.
- Curated by the Pasadena Museum of History, the 10 W. Walnut Exhibit Project now permanently commemorates the stories of the mostly African American, Mexican American, and Japanese American families who lived in the neighborhood before eminent domain forced them from their homes. The Museum launched Exploring Pasadena in 2021, a wide-ranging, multi-year initiative that encourages residents and visitors alike to discover the region’s history, culture, and natural beauty through varied in-person and virtual offerings throughout the year.
100+ Restaurants and Cafes from Around the World
Old Pasadena's dining scene is broad and worth exploring! Here are just a few highlights to consider for your next culinary adventure...
Not one but two authentic Himalayan/Nepalese restaurants are located in Old Pas:
- Tibet Nepal House since 2001 - one of the earliest and at one time only Tibetan restaurants in Los Angeles. Try the lunch buffet!
- Himalayan Cafe also serves a wonderful buffet so you can try a little bit of everything!
With so many Mexican restaurants, it's time for a taco crawl! Here are a few of the long-standing locales:
- Tortas Mexico - Oaxacan family-owned
- El Toreo Cafe - under new ownership but the original owners opened the location 40+ years ago
- King Taco - popular late-night taco joint
A few of the new-comers offering traditional Mexican fare:
For a chef-driven sit-down dining experience and a great selection of Mezcal and Tequila, try:
We've got you covered for a variety of Asian desserts:
- Beard Papa's - Japanese cream puffs
- Oakobing - Korean shaved ice
- 85°c Bakery Café - Taiwanese baked goods
- Bearology - Taiwanese boba and fruit
For those seeking a healthier alternative, or even a vegan or vegetarian option, Old Pasadena is proud to suggest: