During Pasadena Cheeseburger Week from Sunday, January 22 through Saturday, January 28, Pasadena honors Lionel Sternberger's genius in being the first to put cheese on a hamburger and serve it at the Rite Spot in Pasadena in 1924. More than thirty of Pasadena's favorite restaurants, lounges, and burger joints offer their signature burgers, some special creations, and great deals during Pasadena Cheeseburger Week, including several venues in Old Pasadena!
In 1924, as legend has it, teenaged Lionel Sternberger burned one side of a hamburger patty at The Rite Spot, his father’s roadside stand along Colorado Boulevard (then Colorado Street) in west Pasadena. Rather than throw away the spoiled burger, he masked his mistake with a piece of cheese and served it to a very appreciative customer. Word soon spread and customers flocked to The Rite Spot for The Aristocratic Burger, A Hamburger with Cheese. Sternberger’s achievement is the first verified instance of someone serving a hamburger with cheese to a customer.
Vote for your favorite cheeseburger experiences in the 2023 Cheeseburger Challenge from January 22 through January 28. This annual event is organized by the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce.
Here's the list of 2023 participating Old Pasadena restaurants:
- Barney's Beanery
- Craft by Smoke and Fire
- Crave Cafe
- Der Wolf $14 Wolf Burger with French Fries or $16 Short Rib Burger with French Fries
- Dog Haus Biergarten $7.99 on Haus Burgers: Cheeseburger; Little Mule; Ringer; Hangover; Holy Aioli
- Edwin Mills by Equator
- Jake's Trustworthy Burgers & Beer
- Kings Row Gastropub Classic Double Burger with Seasoned Kringle Fries
- La Grande Orange Green Chili Burger - daily ground beef and Anaheim chilis served on their scratch-made double toasted English muffin; shredded lettuce; sliced tomato; and grated Cheddar cheese.
- Lucky Baldwins Pub All burgers are made with a half-pound of premium free-range, grass-fed beef, served on a brioche bun with your choice of French fries or house-made seasoned crisps!
- Mi Piace
- Slater's 50/50 Buy one get one free deals: Slater's Smash Burger and Fries any 2 drink purchases. Or, 25% off a single Smash Burger and Fries with any drink purchase.
- True Food Kitchen
Check with individual restaurants for their complete burger menus and vegan options.