Arguably the most distinctive and historic structure in Old Pasadena, Castle Green turns heads with its architectural pedigree and prowess: Experts note styles that range from Moorish and Spanish Colonial to Mediterranean Revival and Victorian, the latter especially evident inside. The building’s turrets, arches, balconies, and seven imposing stories make it a true visual stunner from the street.
Today the former hotel serves as a very popular venue for special events, and its history makes it popular with visitors and locals alike. The Castle Green is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the State Historic Register, and the City of Pasadena's list of Historic Places. It is only open to the public a few times a year - the annual Holiday Tour in December and the Spring Tour.
Castle Green was designed and built by famed architect Frederick Roehrig and opened in 1899 as the second of three buildings belonging to the luxury Hotel Green complex. It is one of the oldest standing historic landmarks in Los Angeles County and has many of the original features from its construction: gorgeous plaster moldings, hand-carved fireplace mantles, grills and wood moldings, original lighting, and the oldest wrought-iron, man-operated elevator on the West Coast. Hotel Green served as one of Pasadena’s premier resorts, attracting wealthy Midwesterners and East Coasters who loved vacationing in sunny California. At the time, it was the only fireproof hotel in California, a very substantial claim for that era made especially important following the fire that destroyed another local luxury hotel, the Royal Raymond, in 1895.
Today, only Castle Green – once known as the “Central Annex” – remains from the hotel’s hey day; it now houses condominiums and private residences. Its public rooms and gardens are available for weddings, receptions, corporate meetings, and reunions.