During Pasadena Cheeseburger Week from Sunday, January 23th to Friday, January 28th, Pasadena honors Lionel Sternberger's genius in being the first to put cheese on a hamburger and serve it at the Rite Spot in Pasadena in 1924. More than thirty of Pasadena's favorite restaurants, lounges, and burger joints offer their signature burgers, some special creations, and great deals during Pasadena Cheeseburger Week, including 16 in Old Pasadena!
In 1924, as legend has it, teenaged Lionel Sternberger burned one side of a hamburger patty at The Rite Spot, his father’s roadside stand along Colorado Boulevard (then Colorado Street) in west Pasadena. Rather than throw away the spoiled burger, he masked his mistake with a piece of cheese and served it to a very appreciative customer. Word soon spread and customers flocked to The Rite Spot for The Aristocratic Burger, A Hamburger with Cheese. Sternberger’s achievement is the first verified instance of someone serving a hamburger with cheese to a customer.
Voting in the 2022 Cheeseburger Challenge opens on January 23 and ends on January 28. Voting goes live online on January 23. This annual event is organized by the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce.
Visit these participating Old Pasadena restaurants for a broad variety of cheeseburgers:
- Barney's Beanery
- Bone Kettle
- Crave Cafe
- Der Wolf* - Wolf Burger or 100% Beef American Cheeseburger
- Dog Haus Biergarten* - $6.99 Haus Burger or see their burger menu
- Edwin Mills by Equator
- Jake's Trustworthy Burgers & Beer
- Kings Row Gastropub
- The Kitchen
- La Grande Orange Cafe
- Lucky Baldwins Pub
- Mi Piace
- Sage Vegan Bistro* - Cali Avocado Pesto Burger
- Slater's 50/50*
- Stone Brewing Tap Room - 4-9pm TUE JAN 25 pop-up @HapsBurgers
- True Food Kitchen*
* Denotes some of the restaurants offering vegan options. Check with individual restaurants for their vegan options and ask about outdoor dining availability.